Saturday, March 7, 2009

How my love of bicycles and the open road began

It was the middle of summer, or maybe fall, or maybe just the spring. I'm not sure. But whatever season it was... it was also the time of year when creeks are not at their fullest. You might say that the creeks are half empty. Or, half-full, depending on your perspective.
My cousin Philip was over at our house for a visit. This was when we were still young, and loved to tour around on our BMX bikes.
My bike was a little different than my older brother David's. My bike was blue. With a little bit of white. And Handle-bar brakes.
David's bike was red and white, and had foot-pedal brakes.
For some reason or other, the three of us were outside... Philip, David, and I. We had decided to go for a bike ride down the ol' highway called "2nd line road," in the easterly direction of Kanata.
Philip was given my bike to ride. David used Stevin's, and I took David's bike.
It was a good day to ride. To be sure, this was a frequent route David and I took on our many excursions away from home.
As we travelled we talked about things, that young, 8-12 year old boys talk about. We weaved on and off the road, and paid little attention to the time as we travelled.
There is a creek that bisects 2nd line road. Depending on the season, it is either half-full, or half-empty.
We decided to check it out, because water has a way of drawing children to it. It is somehow mesmerizing to see the water ripple and flow, and sometimes throw things into it.
So it was that, being so engrossed by the water, I decided to get a closer look, and decided to slowly roll my bike off the shoulder of the road and on to the culvert.
This proved to be a mistake. In a temporary lapse of brilliance, I forgot that I no longer had hand brakes.
As I slowly rolled toward the end of the culvert, I suddenly realized that I would not stop, panicked, flailed my arms, let out a sound, and watched my front tire roll off the culvert, tipping me and my bike into a 3 foot fall to the creek below.
Hence, I later decided I would redeem myself by biking across the continent.
The End.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Michael! I'm so excited that you finally decided to write on your blog! I can't wait to find out what the next entry will be about!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete