Thursday, April 30, 2009

The End of an Era.

it was november 2006 when I first arrived in Lake Louise. Shortly before I arrived, a girl named Madeleine arrived. I only came from Ontario, she came from Switzerland.

It wasn't long before I met her at bible studies. We didn't talk much at first, but soon after we were discovering more and more about each other. She's a great girl, and we've got a lot in common.

We've taken to spending Sunday's together. It's our chance to do what ever. Which normally means skiing through the day, and church at night. When I first skied with Maddy, I was severly out classed. She's got skills! And I had to work to keep up. Maddy introduced me to the almighty double blacks at lake louise. Formerly runs that were just too steep and crazy for me to attempt. (I did one double black in my entire first season! And I was very proud of it) But Maddy encouraged me and waited patiently as I struggled down these double blacks, these , the mightiest of the mighty steep runs!

It was very tough at first, but it wasn't long before the ultimate steeps became my passion! The thrill of turning my skies down the steepest hills around, and being comfortable with the crazy speeds, moguls and drops was something I had never experienced before. I can only describe it as being nuts! But I loved it! And more, I loved the company!

It's been about two full seasons that I've been skiing with Maddy, almost every Sunday during the 7 month season has been spent beside Maddy. Going down run after run, and talking on the chair lift on the way back up. It's been a wonderfull time, that has now come to an end.

Maddy will be moving home to switerland on June 4th. I will be very sad that day. There's no denying that I'll probably shed a tear at this girls departure. This time she's leaving for good.

With only one Sunday left in this ski season at lake louise, we've already had our last ski date. We may get lucky and move to some back country stuff, but we've already spent our last day on the hill.

It was a wonderfull day, we actually didn't ski too much. We cruised a few runs, went down whitehorn 1, a run that I never thought I could do! And found a few areas with some fresh powder. This time of year the snow is very icy. It's not too fun, but sometimes you can find a soft area. We found a few of those areas!

But we also found the volleyball court! And we made sure to play some v-ball on the snow against a few other mountain lovers. Ya, two on two in ski boots... Not that easy! But loads of fun.

We made it back on the hill to do some more skiing, and called it a day. Well, after skiing we headed into banff for dinner and church, but that's another story for another day...

For now, I will just say that I will miss my regular ski dates with Maddy, but I wish her the best as she moves back home. It's her time, just like we all reach our due date, she's reached hers.

1 comment:

  1. Well, Maddie, I'm glad Michael enjoyed Sunday's with you! May God bless you as you return home, and in whatever it is that He leads you to do!

    ReplyDelete