Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Old Friends

In the years that I have been living here in the Bow Valley, I have met many people. I guess in my role as the activity guy at the chateau - many people got to know me too. So it isn't surprising that if I am walking around Banff, that I might meet up with someone I know... or think I know.

The fun is trying to figure out "where" I know them from.

I had one of these great occasions on Monday. It was lunch time and Kathryn and I were trying to decide where we would head off to for lunch. We were thinking of Sushi, or Coyotes (a nice restaurant), or subway, or eddie burger... well, we hadn't really made up our minds when we turned the corner onto Banff Ave.

There, crossing our path were two ladies, and Kathryn gave an interesting look at the one girl. I figured that Kathryn must know her and half expected her to say something. But, it turned out that she just liked the ladies skirt - so she apologized for the stare and was about to carry on. That is when this lady and I locked eyes...

It was instant recognition.

Do I dare say something? NOOO... I can't think of where I know her from... Does she know me? I can tell by her look that she is thinking the same thing...

she speaks up... "do i know you"

we realized that we looked familiar, so she asked my name...

Michael.... Geertsema....

well, she knows me! I still don't know her???? Who is she? I feel bad that I don't know her...

Her name: Brenda Stevens!

K.. so the last time I recall seeing Brenda Stevens is... by golly I don't remember... but somehow, almost 17 years after going to school with the lady (grade school mind you, and she was 2 grades ahead of me) we still recognize each other. I think it was more that she recognized the Geertsema facial features!

Well, David - She says to say Hi.

Got to love Banff.
and Kathryn says I know too many people. (this happens more than I'd like to admit)

No comments:

Post a Comment