Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Paget Peak

Mom says I need to blog more. I figured that the much more regular phone calls would be enough, but nay, I must get on my blogging horse!

This past weekend I challenged another peak in the area. One that I had been unable to summit in years past. (Due to time and members of the party I went with)

Saturday morning came early. I didn't enjoy hearing the alarm going off on a saturday at a time earlier than a regular week day. (I dare not say what time as you all would scoff at me! in my defense - I was out in banff bidding another friend farewell friday night which kept me out quite late!)

So, like I said, early to rise. It wasn't long before I was forcing my body to wake from its slumber as I trudged up a steep mountain trail. And not long after before I was really moving. In a short 50 min, Megan and I had caught up to a group of friends of ours at the old fire lookout, they had left 20 min prior to us!

We continued on from the lookout up an unmarked trail to the peak. This involved a little more work than just walking a steep trail. We had to find a route through the hill of loose rocks. It wasn't long before Megan and I had charged up the mountain. After a short section of true scambling we reached the peak.

We sat down on a ledge, let our feet dangle over the edge and enjoyed the view... All of 30 feet of visibility as a storm had rolled in and we were getting snowed on!

During this time our friend Kirby caught up to us. We took some pics, clebrating our triumph over the mountain and were planning to head back down when the clouds cleared for a second...

We weren't at the summit!

We had a few hundered more metres to go still! We pushed ourselves through the cold wind and snow and reached the true summit. Now we were freezing and made short work of the pictures before heading down the mountain as fast as possible.

Back at the fire lookout we were greeted with... You guessed it.

Sunny skies!

Not 20 min after we reached the summit, there wasn't a cloud in the sky! Gotta love the rockies!

On the way down, Megan and I decided to take a detour over to sherbrooke lake. It added a nice 3km to our trip, but it was great scenery and the weather was clear. If only it was a few degrees warmer and we may have decided to go swimming.

No comments:

Post a Comment